This multi-organization letter urges leadership in the House and Senate to reject Administration-proposed cuts to science as they begin crafting the fiscal year 2018 appropriations.
Congressional leaders are urged to consider the following points in their deliberations:
- America’s research and development (R&D) enterprise has made our nation the world’s preeminent, most effective, and sought-after partner for innovation.
- U.S. investments in science R&D have created millions of jobs in public and private sectors, enhanced state economies, and generated commercial growth.
- Decreased investment would have significant impacts on our country’s long-term competitiveness and lead to an American innovation deficit.
- America must support its research and innovation infrastructure to enable further investment in skilled workers, high technology tools, and creating tomorrow's discoveries.
- For many decades, the American people and our economy have reaped the enormous benefits of federally-supported research. It is time again for the bipartisan foresight of U.S. policymakers to prevail in support of research.