The Association of American Universities seeks applications for the position of Finance and HR Assistant.
Founded in 1900, the Association of American Universities comprises 62 distinguished institutions that continually advance society through education, research, and discovery.
Our universities earn the majority of competitively awarded federal funding for academic research, are improving human life and wellbeing through research, and are educating tomorrow’s visionary leaders and global citizens.
AAU members collectively help shape policy for higher education, science, and innovation; promote best practices in undergraduate and graduate education; and strengthen the contributions of research universities to society.
The Finance and HR Assistant performs day-to-day functions for the office operations including finance, and benefits, and human resources in a timely, accurate, compliant and confidential manner. The Assistant’s job responsibilities are split between finance and benefits (70%) and operations and human resources (30%).
Finance and Benefits (70%)
- Handles and processes general ledger and account payable transactions, codes all invoices, maintain accounts payable files.
- Processes receivable invoices into AAU’s Accounts Receivable system (Blackbaud); creates, submits, and tracks invoices.
- Collects, reviews, and prepares expenditure documentation including check requests and credit card reconciliations; ensures staff comply with AAU’s policies and procedures and follows-up on questionable items as necessary.
- Processes all check requests.
- Match invoices to checks, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute checks accordingly
- Manages petty cash distribution. Reviews, and if necessary, prepares petty cash requests from staff and processes payments. Annually reconciles cash.
- Serves as staff resource for AAU’s benefits programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurances, retirement plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee wellness.
- Provides support to the Audit and Finance Committee
Operations and Human Resources (30%)
- Manages internal administrative process to ensure expense claims, timesheets, and the like are completed on time and processed in accordance with AAU policies and procedures.
- Maintains employee records.
- Creates, formats, and sends employee communications regarding AAU operations (finance, benefits, human resources, and general operations.)
- Coordinates staff activities on behalf of COO, collaborates on special projects.
- Assists with recruitment, hiring process, and plans and conducts new employee orientation
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A service mentality to non-finance staff and a basic understanding of accounting debits and credits. Ability to work independently on assignments. Strong time management, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff as well as external members and vendors.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment; able to independently apply initiative to determine approach and action to take in both routine and non-routine situations.
- Experience with data entry, record keeping, and computer operation.
- Experience working with a financial system; Blackbaud experience is preferred.
- An advanced level of skill in the Microsoft Office suite 2010.
- Experience working with Office 365, SharePoint, association management systems, mass email systems, and website content management systems is preferred.
Applicants should have an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. Applicants should have one to three years applicable accounting experience (accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll and payroll reports) and a minimum one year of professional experience in any combination of administrative support, finance and accounting support, or human resources. Must have knowledge of basic bookkeeping and accounts payable principles. Prior work experience in a non-profit and/or academic environment is preferred. Must be currently authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
AAU offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, as well as opportunities for educational and career development. This position is classified as an hourly, non-exempt position. AAU is an equal opportunity employer. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at AAU.
To be assured of full consideration, please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements– by January 9, 2018 to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please refer to Finance and HR Assistant in the subject line)
- Roxanne Murray, Chief Operating Officer
1200 New York Ave., NW Suite 550
Washington DC 20005